In August of 2013, Faith Lutheran celebrated its 100th anniversary. Originally organized April 19, 1913 as the English Lutheran Church, services were held in the Village Hall located across the street from the present church. Construction of the church began in 1915 on land purchased from Ole Anderson. Property for the Clayton Cemetery was purchased from the Heyer family; it was deeded to the Village of Clayton in 2001.
Between 1913 and 1929, both English Lutheran and Marsh Lake were affiliated with the Amery and Cumberland districts and were served by visiting pastors. In 1929, a new parish was formed between English Lutheran, Moe Lutheran, and Marsh Lake Lutheran. By 1969, when the need arose to remodel or purchase a new parsonage, the decision was made to purchase the Morgan Larson home in Clayton; it remains the current parsonage.
Starting in 1960, English and Marsh Lake began worshiping together during the winter months and by 1963, the decision was made to merge the churches. They became Faith Lutheran Church. In 1988, Faith Lutheran became a member of the Northwest Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) and is part of the Apple River Conference.
The church has seen many changes over the years with major improvements including enclosing the entrance to the church and basement in 1948. In 1962, to allow for more room for the Sunday school, the basement was extended and in 1983 an addition was added over this part of the basement to house a pastor’s study, Sunday School space and a library.
Faith Women of the ELCA is a part of the Synod Women’s Organization (SWO) Bible studies are held monthly with Pastor Margaret Grant leading the group and Moe Lutheran Women hosting the group. Men’s bible study is held once per month and meets at the church.
The lives and works of so many faithful people have made Faith Lutheran Church what it is today…an open, inclusive place of worship, rooted in Christ. God loves us and has blessed us.