President: Val Engebretson
Vice President: Jeff Olson
Secretary: Kim Patterson
Treasurer: Bob Riley
Cemetery: Jim Soderberg
Send contributions to
Hours of Operation
Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
2nd and 4th Sunday
First Tuesday of each month
Fall Roast Beef Dinner
In 1875 the brothers Nils P., Swan and Gust Paulson left Scania, Sweden and emigrated to Pennsylvania. After two years, Nils Paulson returned to Sweden for his family and brothers Gust and Swan and moved westward settling at Clayton. Nils P. and brother John P. Paulson joined them in 1879. From all available information the Paulsons were the first Swedes to settle in the township of Clayton. In 1880 other family members came from Sweden and settled in Clayton. Their grandfather was the first person to be buried in Immanuel’s cemetery.
In 1887, Rev E.J. Nystrom a traveling missionary was the first Pastor to conduct Lutheran services in the Township of Clayton. On February 29, 1888 the Immanuel congregation was organized in the home of John P. Paulson, who conducted Sunday School and also preached in the years prior to the organization of the Church. The decision to organize had been at a meeting held the previous fall at Pehr Paulson’s home, near the present Church location. Rev JD Nelsenius was the Pastor present at the meeting. The first deacons were Nils P. Paulson, A.J. Anderson, and John Swanson. The trustees were Charles Sandberg, Carl Monson and John P. Paulson. Immanuel’s first regular Pastor was Rev A. Benstron, then living in Shell Lake.
The first church was built in 1892 at a cost of $700. The long-planned new church building was erected in 1920 and stands on the original site on the hill with its cross topped spire pointing heavenward.
In 1952, First Lutheran Church of Amery, which had been associated with Immanuel felt that it had attained sufficient membership to support a pastor and dissolved the Parish. Shortly after negotiations started with the First Lutheran Church at Clear Lake concerning the possibilities of forming a new Parish. In 1953 a pastoral call went out to George Schultz effective upon his ordination and First Lutheran Church of Clear Lake and Immanuel Lutheran formed a new Parish.
Shortly after the 95th anniversary of Immanuel’s founding celebration in 1983, tornadic winds and rain struck a disabling blow at Immanuel. Immanuel was repaired and again stood proudly on the hill. It had lost the steeple, but thanks to Leonard Stepan, a member of the congregation who was a contractor, the steeple was rebuilt lower and with a flat roof and the new lower belfry was again topped by the cross. It was at this time that Leonard decided to also make arrangements to have a well drilled and pipe water into the Sanctuary. Up until this time water was brought in. But now bathrooms were provided and there was hot and cold water in the kitchen.
In 2008 Immanuel contracted with Faith Lutheran of Clayton and Moe Lutheran of Clear Lake for Pastoral services of Pastor Margaret Grant.
In 2017 Immanuel celebrated its 125th anniversary with many past and present members present. Immanuel, meaning “God with us;” facing the future, we will continue as our ancestors in faith have always done and face the challenges of the future by entrusting ourselves to the guidance of God, through the presence of the Spirit in our lives and our ministries.